survival farm

Sunday, September 10, 2023

Adrift in a fragrant garden

I’m trying to retrain my senses so I can once again pause to smell the sweet peas

I lost my sense of smell. At least, I think I misplaced it. Probably post Covid, certainly post sinus surgery. I would bury my face in a large bank of jasmine. Henri would be reeling back from the intensity. I would be bewildered. The scent only of absence.

We’ve always grown sweet peas on the plot. Memories of childhood carried by my favourite flower scent. I brought a bunch, fresh-cut, home the other week. Henri smiled, commented on their stunning smell. There was nothing there for me, though I tried repeatedly.

Continue reading...

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

UK’s garden centres hope sunshine and Chelsea flower show will help them rebound from the rain

A cold, damp spring depressed plant sales in the UK, but help is at hand from the ‘Glastonbury festival of the gardening world’ The sixth-we...