Home and garden haven

🌿 Love your home & garden? You’re going to love what’s inside.
🛠️ From stunning landscaping ideas to cozy upgrades, unlock tips most people miss.
👉 Grab your free access now

Saturday, May 6, 2023

Fake books? Charles Dickens got there first | Brief letters

Shelf-esteem | Gardening tips | Gruff justice | The power of voting | Scathing school reports

Fake books are older than you seem to think (Fake books: the controversial interiors trend for literary pretenders, 1 May). Charles Dickens created “faux-aged spines” to line the door of his study at Gad’s Hill Place, his house in Kent. He gave them such titles as History of a Short Chancery Suit in Twelve Volumes, and Hansard’s Guide to Refreshing Sleep. I doubt it was to show people that he was literate.
Harland Walshaw
Lympstone, Devon

• I would love to see Adrian Chiles’s gardening show (The unspoken truth about gardening? It is a relentless, unwinnable war, 4 May) as I too come from the Attila the Hun school of gardening, and feel I never got far enough to learn from the others.
Margaret Squires
St Andrews, Fife

Continue reading...

* This article was originally published here



* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freebie Friday – Printable Grungy Roses, Torn Paper and Vintage Rose Stamps

There is just something about roses and old paper that makes my crafty heart happy. Maybe it’s the faded ink. Maybe it’s the slightly to...