survival farm

Friday, March 31, 2023

The elephant in the rooms of our stately homes | Letters

National Trust visits | Bill Tidy | Standing stones | Gene editing | Trampoline ban

As a long-term member of the National Trust, I find that it usually takes me until the third room of any visit to one of their stately homes before thoughts of what exploitation of workers was necessary to provide me with a pleasant afternoon’s diversion turn enjoyment into irritation and occasionally anger (Letters, 24 March). It used to take until the fourth room, but I’ve got older and less tolerant.
Gerald Wells
Congleton, Cheshire

• It would have been difficult for the writer of Bill Tidy’s obituary (20 March) to mention all of his output, but I would like to add Grimbledon Down to the list. I’m sure that I was not the only government scientist for whom this was the first page I turned to in each week’s New Scientist.
Dr Richard Towers
Budleigh Salterton, Devon

Continue reading...

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

UK’s garden centres hope sunshine and Chelsea flower show will help them rebound from the rain

A cold, damp spring depressed plant sales in the UK, but help is at hand from the ‘Glastonbury festival of the gardening world’ The sixth-we...