survival farm

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Greedy Tories? That rings a (Steve) Bell | Brief letters

Conservative plutocrats | Politicians’ replies | Allotment radicalism | Tory ethics | Wild-camping Wombles?

Re Polly Toynbee’s article (Zahawi, Sunak, Johnson: this is rule by plutocrat. It’s like a stench that’s worse each day, 23 January), I used to put Steve Bell’s cartoons on the kitchen wall day by day. I stopped on 21 January 2011, with his skewering of David Cameron as an inversion of Marx, saying: “From each according to their vulnerability, to each according to their greed.” I despair that I still have no need to change it.
Sue Jolley
Altrincham, Greater Manchester

• Politicians have no need for a chatbot to reply to members of the public (Letters, 22 January); they have staff to do that. Working at the Department of Trade in the 1980s, part of my job was to draft replies for the minister. The recipient of one letter I had drafted complained later that it was a “masterpiece of non-answer”. When my boss saw this, he congratulated me on having “cracked it”.
Sue Firth
North Hykeham, Lincolnshire

Continue reading...

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

UK’s garden centres hope sunshine and Chelsea flower show will help them rebound from the rain

A cold, damp spring depressed plant sales in the UK, but help is at hand from the ‘Glastonbury festival of the gardening world’ The sixth-we...