survival farm

Saturday, April 30, 2022

New plants for free: how to propagate from softwood cuttings

I am moving house; so from lavender to buddleia, I’m taking cuttings from new growth to plant in my garden. It’s easy when you know how

I am beginning a long farewell: by the end of the year, I will be gone from this garden and starting anew in Welsh soil. I am fantasising about having a garden that wraps around a house, but in truth I think I am gaining all of four metres, several of those in shade. Still, it is a blank canvas to paint on, and when I’m not heartbroken about leaving my fruit trees, I stand in my garden and make plans for what should come with me.

I don’t want to leave this garden with great holes where I’ve uprooted established plants, so instead I am taking cuttings. I have already taken hardwood cuttings of all the soft fruits, vines and figs.

Continue reading...

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

UK’s garden centres hope sunshine and Chelsea flower show will help them rebound from the rain

A cold, damp spring depressed plant sales in the UK, but help is at hand from the ‘Glastonbury festival of the gardening world’ The sixth-we...